Sunday, August 9, 2009

And the curse is back in full swing...

Remember when I blogged about the fact that almost every guy I've dated/hooked up with moves out of the state...or country on occasion? Well, ladies and gentlemen (ok, fine, just ladies...I know no guys are reading this) it has happened again.

Today, Ivy decided that we needed to get me out of my slump. Don't get me wrong, I've been dating and getting hit on, but I've developed the worst thing you can get while serial dating.....no, not herpes...but standards. So tonight while we were at one of our favorite local bars (I love saying things like that now that I'm legal, by the way) a VERY VERY good looking guy starts dancing with me. We start talking (screaming over "apple bottom jeans") and I asked him where he went to school. He replied, "Boston". Well, seeing as "Boston" is not a school, I asked him which one, and after much hesitation, he replyed "MIT" and then apologized because it was embarrassing and he didn't like telling people. I informed him that being an MIT grad was not embarrassing, but was, in fact impressive (and not to mention the easiest way to get me to go home with someone. You see, two qualities I like in a guy are "really intelligent" and "Gossip Girl cast member"). He then informed me that he was in Chicago for a day. ONE day. As in leaving the following afternoon/night at the latest.

So MIT boy tells me that his friends were going to the next bar, and invited me along. I dragged Ivy with. He and I started dancing again (after HE dragged me back on the dance floor). After a little bit, his less social MIT buddies wanted to leave. So he left. Because he hasn't seen the fellow MITers in over a year. (And lets face it, because he would never see me again anyway...) He thanked me for dancing with him and told me how great it was meeting me.

So here I am sitting at home (even the cabbie asked why I was going home so early) sulking and pondering many things....like why I just set my standards even higher. But also, why I was so intent on going home with MIT even though I knew he was leaving the next day. Why would I want to emotionally attach myself to someone even more? (Ok, I know I'm getting a little ridiculous but really, he was my ideal boy) Well, what I have figured out is this: I'm going about meeting people at bars the wrong way. When I go out, I look for people who I can bring home that night, or see myself with in the future (I like planning ahead) instead of people that I can have fun with at the bar, while I'm out. If I go out and dance with someone for a few hours, I should come home happy that I had a good time with someone, not moping that nothing will come of it (I get to for this one though. MIT grad. I'm allowed to be bitter). It WAS fun dancing with him and it was nice meeting him. So for now, I'm going to go to bed happy that I had a good night and rest up for Lollapalooza tomorrow.

Moving to Boston,
Ally

No comments:

Post a Comment