Monday, August 3, 2009

Our lives have been as uninteresting as Irishmen in Chicago...

After an EXTREMELY long break, I've decided it is time I return to blogging. Don't worry folks, you haven't missed much. I've been bouncing from bar to bar, (actually legally for once) and from Irish guy to Irish guy. Seriously, Chicago is apparently the new tourist spot for Irish College boys. (Sidebar: You should no longer hook up with a guy solely because he has an Irish accent. It is no longer unique. In fact, the new game is: go into a bar and try to find the only boy from a suburb.)

Anyway, my big news is that I have finally gone on an actual date. Really. Like a sober, before 10 pm, didn't hook up in a stairwell, date. Now, after my 24 hours of bliss while imagining our future together, I came across a problem. Apparently, depending on who I spoke to, my date went either really well, or really bad. Great. And shockingly enough, it depended on if I spoke to a guy or a girl. I've decided to give a play by play of the date followed by the common response.

So, Lunch Date invites me to meet him out to lunch downtown when he would be on break.
(girl response: awww cuuute!! he wants to see you during the day! guy response: lunch dates are bad and mean he's not really into you.)

We enjoyed lunch and nice conversation, and mid-meal, Lunch Date comments about how he doesn't think he really HAS to go back to work the rest of the day. He pays, we leave.
(girl response: omg! he wants to spend time with you. guy response: well, that's a better sign)

As we were walking he asked if I had to get back home, or if I had time to grab a drink. I said I could grab a drink and he proceeded to take me to some place where the drinks cost more than the Forever 21 dress I was wearing. We chat. He pays. We leave.
(girl response: OMG! he's TOTALLY into you. guy response: ohhh. he wants to sleep with you)

Then, as we start walking, he asked if I wanted to go for a walk. We then walk more or less from millennium park-ish to water tower, just chatting.
(girl response: when's the wedding? guy response: he may like you. But he really just wants to sleep with you)

Finally, he suggests that it is time to head back. He asks how I usually get home and I inform him that being the good college student I am, I use my AMAZING u-pass and ride the el. He decides that he is too impatient for the el. He hails a cab and takes me back home. He pays and walks me to my door.
(girl response: he's SUCH a gentleman. seriously, when's the wedding? guy response: that was nice. I wouldn't have done that. Also, he thought he'd get some mid day nookie if he took you home)

Now, take a wild guess as to which commentary I WANT to believe. But, how trustworthy is the guy advice. One piece of information I left out that changed some people's views after the fact was this: Lunch Date is in his mid 20s. As in, not in school and has a real job. But really, how much does that change things? If the guys all think he's just trying to sleep with me, maybe he is. But maybe the girls are right, and lunch dates are no longer a dead end date.

I think the only clear advice I've gotten after this whole thing was from my uncle. He said, "if you can add 'to get you to have sex with him' after any sentence while describing him to me, that's what he was trying to do. Like, he paid for everything...'to get you to have sex with him'. He put you in a cab...'to get you to have sex with him'. He volunteered with sick children in his spare time before that day....'to get you to have sex with him'. See. That didn't work. Anything he did that day was to get you to have sex with him. The end."

2 comments: