Thursday, April 2, 2009

And now for a word on "dating just to date"

I have a confession to myself, and to the masses: I have not been dating in about two months now. There has been the odd first date here and there, and a few amusing Stalkers and Booty Callers, but no one who makes my little post-adolescent heart go pitter patter. To reiterate: I have not been dating. So what's the big deal? I'm not dating anyone for the first time in 3 years.

You see, I am guilty of something you probably all are guilty of as well: dating just to date. Finding interesting and sexy people is a lot of freaking work, and it is just the American way to avoid that. In between finding Mr. Right and Mr. Right Junior and Mr. Right III, we feel the need to pass the time with Mr. Not That Attractive, Mr. Not That Nice to Me, and Mr. IQ in the Double Digits. We will date all sorts of people who are blaringly below our standards, then pretend we are being open minded by "giving someone a chance." No. Stop tricking yourself. You will never, ever love someone whose Ipod is overflowing with Nickelback and Nickelback remixes. You are dating because you are afraid not to be.

Well...what's REALLY the point of dating just to date? Newsflash: Dating is hard fucking work. It takes time, energy, and all sorts of minutes on your cell phone plan...not to mention the constant nerves, the agitation, the apprehension of getting to know someone new, Jesus Christ....IT HAD BETTER BE WORTH IT. Dating just to date would be like doing 2 hours of cardio a day just cause I like treadmills: It's sweaty and exhausting, and if it didn't keep me in my skinny jeans, I wouldn't do it.

So I guess I'm not feeling the urge to find me a fixer upper, spend weeks or months trying to fix him up...then discovering there is actually no way to get a frat boy to enjoy James Joyce. I think I have better ways to spend my time and it rhymes with "getting drunk." Don't worry...I will still have plenty of stories.

Flying solo,

Ivy

No comments:

Post a Comment