Wednesday, February 18, 2009

I was fooled by the fact that he could rent a car.

I was chatting with my good friend Latte the other day, who had just been out to lunch with her 32-year old, unmarried cousin.
"I asked her for relationship advice...and do you know what she told me? 'I don't know. The men do the exact same shit at age 30 that they did when they were 18.' I can't do this. I can't do another decade of this!"

Oh boy. Now this got me thinking. I've dated a range of ages, from 18 to 30. That's my demographic, if you will. I, apparently, have the same broad appeal to men as Keifer Sutherland. But the real question is...is there a DIFFERENCE between the dudes whose voices just cracked and the ones with already receding hairlines?

Well this is just one woman's opinion...but fuck no, no there is no fucking difference, we are fucked always. That is a lot of eff words, but that is to only to give you an idea of just how frustrated I am feeling. Men's behavior CAN'T be chalked up to immaturity? You mean to tell me they are always emotionally distant, confusing, childish, and inconsiderate?

There are very specific reasons college males all suck. I'm serious, they all suck for practically identical reasons. I will list a few:
*They are incapable of socially functioning without a stomach full of Busch Lite
*They assume that all women are trying to marry them. A text message reading 'want to study together?' Automatically translates to 'Do you want a spring or fall wedding?' to all men ages 18-22.
*They say things like, "That was a sick kegger last night."
*They say things like, "I love this OAR track."
*They like sluts, but then they very hypocritically spread rumors about girls who "get around." Which is it?! Everyone is either a slut or a prude. There needs to be a magical formula for the exact number of men you are allowed to sleep with in order to be deemed acceptable.
*They dress like morons.
*They are morons.

Now, to review this list, and compare it to the older men (Let's dub this the 25+ category) I have dated...nope, all those things are still true! The only difference is that their beards come in a little thicker, and maybe they've begun to regularly follow politics. How old to I have to go?? Should I start hanging out with my father's recently divorced, borderline pedophile friends? (I actually hope my dad doesn't associate with borderline pedophiles, but you get the idea).

I've always been most attracted to men I felt I could learn from. And this is why the school girl fantasy is so appealing to me. And why I sometimes wake up wearing nothing but a plaid skirt. ....Back to the point. Basic logic would assume that if a man is 5-10 years older than me, he is a touch wiser, more refined, more responsible...not sucking down PBR's faster than a college freshman with a freshly minted North Dakota fake. But it has never been the case! Which gets me thinking maybe the only benefit to dating men over 25 is that they can legally rent a car.

Age before beauty is a null and void concept,

Ivy

1 comment: